Makefile question

Rupert Wood me@rupey.net
Fri Nov 16 10:27:00 GMT 2001

Kabir Patel wrote:

> I initially had a make.exe file in /usr/ccs/bin/ that must have come
> into existence during my SUNWspro installation.

I think it was from another package (it's on the system install media
not the compiler install) but yes.

> Now, I was under the impression that if I ran the ./configure file a
> new make.exe file would be generated. Is that right?

Sort of. configure usually generates makefiles; you need to run
/usr/ccs/bin/make on that makefile to build the GNU make. Go to the
directory with the makefile in it (should be the same one if you ran
'./configure') and type '/usr/ccs/bin/make'.

Once you've done that, you can either manually copy the new binary out
of that directory to somewhere in your path, or you can use './make
install' to automatically install the binary, support files and
documentation in /usr/local/bin, /usr/local/lib and /usr/local/man, etc.
If you want to install them somewhere else then you can use the
'--prefix' option on the configure line as before.

If building breaks mentioning 'i18n' then you need to reconfigure
'--disable-nls'. I don't think this is necessary on Solaris, though.

If you'd like to keep the Sun and GNU makes with separate names,
reconfigure '--program-prefix=g'. The GNU make will then install with
the name 'gmake'.