gcc and sunwspro

Rupert Wood me@rupey.net
Wed Nov 14 22:01:00 GMT 2001

Chris Trawick wrote:

> so using sunwspro to compile gcc is a supported configuration?  I
> remember trying that a couple weeks ago first for 3.0.1 and then for
> 2.95.3.

I think so. I certainly remember a goal to make GCC buildable starting
with any system C compiler, ANSI or not.

I haven't tried this in a long time, but I have had experience trying to
make oldish snapshots compile for Intel Solaris with SUNWspro 5.0. I
certainly built 3.0 release candidates with SUNWspro (Forte) 6.0 through
u2. However, our Intel Solaris machine is out of commission and the 6.0
compiler eval ended :-) so I can't test it right now.

> stage1 xgcc couldn't find headers, gmake couldn't find dependencies,
> object files doing disappearing tricks during link, all depending on
> whether i build in the source dir or a separate dir.

I'd be surprised if these were compiler problems. More likely, they're
'make' problems (especially given the last bit).

You could try using GNU make. However, I'm not sure how old the versions
you're using are - but everything worked for me. Sorry that's not much
help.

Rup.