Installing GCC: Some more elementary questions.

kabir.patel@uk.andersen.com kabir.patel@uk.andersen.com
Fri Nov 9 17:08:00 GMT 2001

Thanks for the last set of responses. I have ftp'd the gcc "core" files, and
uncompressed them. I'm a bit confused about some of the instructions in the
"Installing GCC: Configuration" documentation found at
http://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html

Here are my questions:

a) It states "We use srcdir to refer to the toplevel source directory for GCC;
we use objdir to refer to the toplevel build/object directory."

Is srcdir the place where I copied the uncompressed files into?
What files initially go into objdir?

b) It also states "If you obtained the sources via CVS, srcdir must refer to the
top gcc directory, the one where the MAINTAINERS can be found, and not its gcc
subdirectory, otherwise the build will fail. "

What does CVS stand for?
What does the MAINTAINERS mean?

c) Further it states "First, we highly recommend that GCC be built into a
separate directory than the sources which does not reside within the source
tree."

What does the sources mean? Is this just the set of uncompressed files I copied
over?
What does it mean by source tree?

d) If I just want a simple C compiler do I need to use the "options" and
"target" specifications mentioned below?

   % mkdir objdir
   % cd objdir
   % srcdir/configure [options] [target]

Many thanks
Kabir

Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this message.  If you
the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone.
In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by
reply email. Please advise immediately if you or your employer does not consent
to Internet email for messages of this kind.  Opinions, conclusions and other
information in this message that do not relate to the official business of my
firm shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.