Elementary problems with gcc 3.0.2 installation

kabir.patel@uk.andersen.com kabir.patel@uk.andersen.com
Thu Nov 8 02:21:00 GMT 2001

I am intending to install gcc 3.0.2 onto a Solaris 2.8 operating system. I was
told to download the files needed from

ftp://aeneas.mit.edu/pub/gnu/gcc/gcc-3.0.2/

Could somebody help me with the following questions relating to the instructions
on

http://gcc.gnu.org/install/download.html

a) In the instructions it states "The full distribution includes the C, C++,
Objective-C, Fortran, Java, and CHILL compilers" I only want the C compiler.
Which files exactly do I need to download to get only the C compiler?
b) In the instructions it states "If you choose to download specific components,
you must download the core GCC distribution". What does this mean?
c) Is there a specific location for me to download the files (eg. /var, /etc
....)
d) Does "unpacking" mean uncompressing? If so, where should the uncompressed
files go?

Many thanks
Kabir

Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this message.  If you
the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone.
In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by
reply email. Please advise immediately if you or your employer does not consent
to Internet email for messages of this kind.  Opinions, conclusions and other
information in this message that do not relate to the official business of my
firm shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.