core file not created

Zack Weinberg zackw@stanford.edu
Fri May 25 10:56:00 GMT 2001

On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 01:27:32PM -0400, Katherine Meiszer wrote:
> I am running code compiled with g++ using gcc version egcs-2.91.66 on a
> Linux system.  When I get a segmentation fault, no core file is
> created.  I have never before seen an instance of where a segmentation
> fault is not accompanied by a core dump.  I wrote a simple test program
> that does nothing but incorrectly index an array and it also does create
> a core file when it crashes.

I'm a little confused.  What is crashing, the program you compiled, or
the compiler itself?

If it's the compiler, we deliberately disable core dumps because they
tend to be huge and less than helpful.  You should use -v -save-temps
to get the command line for the internal executable (cc1plus,
probably) that's actually crashing, then run it under the debugger.

If it's your program, check your user limits.  The core dump is
probably too big for them.

Note that egcs-2.91.66 is very old, you may wish to try gcc-2.95.3 or
a 3.0 prerelease snapshot.

--
zw   The beginning of almost every story is actually a bone, something with
     which to court the dog, which may bring you closer to the lady.