gcc 3.0 & backward compatibility for libstdc++
Laurent Pinchart
laurent.pinchart@capflow.com
Sun Jun 24 03:08:00 GMT 2001
After trying a few things, I managed to compile the libstdc++ & libio
shipped with gcc-2.95.3. Unfortunately, the make process compiles them
with gcc-2.95.3, and not with gcc-3.0. I then can't link anything to
libstdc++.so (the one with gcc-2.95.3) when I compile with gcc-3.0 (I
suppose it has something to do with name mangling or so).
So the question is : is there a way to compile liobio & libstdc++ from
the gcc-2.95.3 tarball using gcc-3.0 ? If so, how ? And if not, where
can I download libio & libstdc++ separetely (without gcc) ? If at
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/libstdc++ , which version is the one shipped
with gcc-2.95.3 ? I haven't been able to figure that out.
Thanks for your help.
Laurent Pinchart
> I'm trying to install a 'Linux From Scratch', and it's driving me crazy.
>
> I installed glibc 2.2.3 & gcc 3.0 (had a little problem with gcc 3.0
> when compiling it with LDFLAGS=-static, but that was only a makefile &
> env variables problem).
>
> I'm now trying to compile ncurses. The compiler complains that
> strstreambuf has no member function named vscan. According to the ISO
> C++ standard, strstreambuf has no vscan, and so libstdc++-v3 shipped
> with gcc 3.0 has no vscan either. No problem with that.
>
> The problem is that ncurses needs vscan, which was present in the
> libstdc++ shipped with gcc 2.95.2 (is that libstdc++-v2 ?). So, to be
> able to compile 'old' (the latest ncurses is not so old) programs, I
> need a '2.95.2-like' libstdc++. Am I right ?
>
> If I'm right, how should I install it ? Is it possible to download it
> without downloading gcc 2.95.2 ? I checked several libstdc++ in
> ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/libstdc++ , but the numbering scheme puzzles me
> (no 3.x version, ...), and I haven't been able to find a 'stand-alone'
> libstdc++ identical to the one in gcc 2.95.2. BTW, if someone could tell
> me how the libstdc++ versions are numbered, it would be nice. Is 2.8.0 a
> v2, and 2.90.8 a v3 ? There was still a vscan in 2.90.6, but not in
> 2.90.8. So is 2.90.6 a v2 and 2.90.8 a v3 ? I'm lost :-)
>
> Anyway, after downloading the version I need, how should I install it so
> I'll be sure it won't overwrite any files nor cause any problem with the
> libstdc++-v3 files ?
More information about the Gcc-help
mailing list