gcc-3.0 compiling problem on linux with older libc

Alexandre Oliva aoliva@redhat.com
Thu Jun 21 03:33:00 GMT 2001


On Jun 21, 2001, Petri Kaukasoina <kaukasoi@elektroni.ee.tut.fi> wrote:

> Alexandre Oliva <aoliva@redhat.com> wrote:
>> I heard linux 2.4 in general works best with glibc 2.2; libc-5 is far older
>> than that.

> I guess this is a little off topic but why would a kernel version work
> better with some libc than another? The kernel does not use libc at all.

Actually, it's the other way round: the kernel supports features that
only glibc 2.2 knows how to use, and some of its headers might be
incompatible with older versions of glibc or libc5.  Anyway, this is
just hearsay to me; I don't have any details.

-- 
Alexandre Oliva   Enjoy Guarana', see http://www.ic.unicamp.br/~oliva/
Red Hat GCC Developer                  aoliva@{cygnus.com, redhat.com}
CS PhD student at IC-Unicamp        oliva@{lsd.ic.unicamp.br, gnu.org}
Free Software Evangelist    *Please* write to mailing lists, not to me



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list