gcc needs extreme compiling time for jaguar-cts-includes [WatchDog checked]

silvio.matthes@xcom.de silvio.matthes@xcom.de
Thu Jun 28 09:57:00 GMT 2001


Hallo,

maybe that's a bit offtopic,
but I don't know where to send to otherwise (suggestions are welcome...)

I'm trying to compile an external client
for sybase's Jaguar CTS on a sun solaris 2.7 machine with gcc (2.95.3).

My Problem is, it compiles way too long and needs plenty of memory.
As soon as I add jaguar.hpp (thats a main includefile of Jaguar CTS API)
to the includes it needs 30minutes (its a E450 with 1GB of RAM) and needs
almost 1GB of memory.

The mentioned header includes several other header-files, altogether they
are about 3Megs of size.
Ok, that's a mass, but for comparison, on a windoze-machine with MSVC that
compiles in 1-2 minutes!

And that's only the headers. If I use the functions the headers define,
every call
needs memory at compiletime and I end up with a client of about 1700 lines,
which doesn't compile because after 2 hours a process called cc1plus needs
1.7Gig of Ram.
At this stage the system has not enough ram and probably kills the process
so that gcc says:
(...).h:1863: Internal compiler error.
(...).h:1863: Please submit a full bug report.
(...).h:1863: See <URL: http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/bugs.html > for
instructions


These are my settings of compiler and linker (cut from makefile):

gcc -ggdb -O -w -I(...includes) -DDEBUG -D_REENTRANT -DJAG_NO_NAMESPACE -c
testclient.cpp -o testclient.o
/usr/local/bin/gcc -Xlinker -zmuldefs testclient.o -L(...libdirs) -ljcc
-lpthread -lnsl  -o testclient

I'll attach an example of the headers.


My Questions are:
- How could I prevent gcc from compiling this long, e.g. with some
compiler-switches?
- Does anyone have experiences with gcc 3.0? Could it solve the problem?

Thank you in advance,

Kind Regards,

Silvio Matthes
(See attached file: jagheadr.zip)
=?us-ascii?Q?jagheadr.zip?=

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: jagheadr.zip
Type: application/zip
Size: 4800 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc-help/attachments/20010628/33ce6e58/attachment.zip>


More information about the Gcc-help mailing list