gcc and binutils installation

bmj2001 bmj2001@bellsouth.net
Thu Jun 21 13:49:00 GMT 2001


Binutils
GCC
GLIBC
or
CYGWIN DLL AND WINSUP.


-----Original Message-----
From: gcc-help-owner@gcc.gnu.org [ mailto:gcc-help-owner@gcc.gnu.org]On
Behalf Of Christopher Eltschka
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2001 1:46 PM
To: gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: gcc and binutils installation


Hello,

I've downloaded both gcc-3.0 and binutils-2.11. I want to install both
besides the current compiler/binutils, on /usr/local (so I can still
recover the old behaviour if needed).

Regarding this, I have some questions:

Should I install binutils first, of gcc first?

What do I have to do to get no interference with the currently installed
compiler/binutils? Is it enough to have --prefix=/usr/local, or should I
do something like --prefix=/usr/local/gcc3 (and likewise with binutils)?
Do I have to tell gcc which binutils it should use?

Is there anything else to take into account?

(BTW, I'm using Suse Linux 7.0, if that matters)



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list