Basic Installation help

Alexandre Oliva aoliva@redhat.com
Mon Jul 23 22:10:00 GMT 2001

On Jul 21, 2001, Bill Moseley <moseley@hank.org> wrote:

> 1) If I only want to replace my current gcc, can I just install C anc C++
> compilers or is the "full" package the way to go?  I only expect to build C
> and C++ programs at this time.

If that's all you need, that should be enough.

>      % mkdir objdir
>      % cd objdir
>      % srcdir/configure [target] [options]

> Which makes srcdir a sub directory of objdir.  I believe it doesn't matter,
> but:

> Is "srcdir" really something like "<srcdir>" to be replace by where ever
> gcc was untarred?

Yep.

> Or does it really mean to untar the source as a sub directory of the
> build directory?

Nope.  In fact, if you set up srcdir as a sub-directory, `make
install' will fail in 3.0.

> 3) I get a large number of warnings when building.  I find this a bit
> disconcerting.  I guess I'd expect the compiler source to not generate
> warnings...  Anyway, is this expected?

Unfortunately, yes.

> 4) Finally, I assume my current binutils are fine to use with 3.0.

Hard to tell without knowing which binutils you've got :-)

> Is there anything else I need to update, such as libraries?

Bear in mind that C++ in GCC 3.0 is not binary-compatible with C++ in
older versions of GCC.  So, you have to rebuild any C++ libraries you
intend to link with.