multiple declaration / definition

Aparna Ranish aparna_ranish@rediffmail.com
Tue Jul 10 01:02:00 GMT 2001

Hi

  I have a small piece of code which according to me should give a compilation error.

   test.c
   ----------
   int i = 2;
    int i;
    int main ()
    {
        return 0;
    }
   See according to me  <int i> gives both declaration and definition for i. So, the program should give multiple definition error. But it does not.

Once the definition is over does it take <int i>
 as declaration ??

  another test
 ----------------

  int main ()
   {
      int i = 2;
       int i;
       return 0;
   }
  But in this case it gives redclaration error.it says i previously declared here.
 Actually it is supposed to give the error in both  the
cases.

  Can some body expalin me, where I am going wrong ??

thanks and regards,
Aparna Ranish