Implicit conversion error using g++

Alexandre Oliva aoliva@redhat.com
Mon Jul 9 12:41:00 GMT 2001

On Jul  9, 2001, David Berthelot <davidb@Magma-DA.COM> wrote:

> Ok, please correct me if I am wrong.

No problem :-)

> 1. Line 13 and 14 are not "equivalent" (whatever this word may mean)
> because they translate into different function calls:
> Line 13 would be replaced by these calls:
> - bar.Foo()
> - Baz(const Foo&)
> Line 14 would be replaced by:
> - Baz()
> - Baz.operator=(const Bar)
> I think that the missing operator= is the reason why the automatic casting
> doesn't work in your code.

Nope.  Both lines perform object initialization, so the assignment
operator plays no role.  The difference is that `Baz b1(bar)' is a
direct initialization, whereas `Baz b2 = bar' is a copy
initialization.  The former may use a user-defined conversion sequence
plus a constructor, but the latter needs a single user-defined
conversion sequence, that can contain either a constructor or a
conversion function.  See [dcl.init]/11-14 for details.