Help building gcc 3.0 for arm-elf

Lewin A.R.W. Edwards larwe@larwe.com
Sun Jul 8 15:02:00 GMT 2001

Yeah, it's me again :) Somewhere in the universe, somebody else must be
using cygwin; where are you all guys?

I periodically try downloading and building the latest version of gcc, and
I just tried 3.0 release for the first time. Still no way to build this
configured for arm-elf, at least not under cygwin. What is the cure for
this??? :(

I'm using the exact procedure I used to build 2.95.2, but it just doesn't
work under cygwin. I get thousands of errors about too many levels of
nested #ifdefs.

I patched the following files:

gcc-3.0/gcc/config/arm/elf.h
gcc-3.0/gcc/config/arm/unknown-elf.h
gcc-3.0/gcc/config/arm/xm-arm.h

with
#ifndef FOO
#define
{header contents}
#endif

and compile proceeds further. I then have to patch BUILDDIR/tconfig.h
similarly as above to get further. Then I get this error:

/src/gcc-3.0/gcc/longlong.h:2377:9: warning: no newline at end of file
/src/gcc-3.0/gcc/longlong.h:2370:1: unterminated #if
/src/gcc-3.0/gcc/longlong.h:2362:1: unterminated #ifdef
/src/gcc-3.0/gcc/longlong.h:2359:1: unterminated #else
/src/gcc-3.0/gcc/longlong.h:2350:1: unterminated #ifdef

This file has only 1488 lines, and I don't know what I can do to get past
this error.

Help :((

-- Lewin A.R.W. Edwards
Embedded Engineer, Digi-Frame Inc.
Work: http://www.digi-frame.com/
Tel (914) 937-4090 9am-6:30pm M-F ET
Personal: http://www.larwe.com/ http://www.zws.com/

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even
though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who
neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight
that knows not victory nor defeat."
(Theodore Roosevelt)