cannot find libc.a for 64-bit compile

Alexandre Oliva aoliva@redhat.com
Wed Feb 14 17:02:00 GMT 2001

On Feb 14, 2001, David T-G <davidtg@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> developers, I downloaded the SunFreeWare egcs snapshot of 2000-03 and
> installed it in /usr/local/egcs as Steve laid it out.  We've added the
> -m64 directive to the CFLAGS and updated LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to
> /usr/local/egcs/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/2.96/sparcv9

LD_LIBRARY_PATH doesn't affect the directories in which the linker
looks for libraries.  It only affects the run-time linker.  Note that,
when given -m64, GCC should already look for libgcc in the sparcv9
directory.

> but a make still finds /usr/lib/libc.a, which is only 32-bit
> (Solaris8).

A 64-bit libc should be in /usr/lib/sparcv9.  If you don't have them,
you'll probably have to go install them from the Solaris installation
CD.  I suppose GCC would automatically tell the linker to look for
libraries in /usr/lib/sparcv9 when given the -m64 switch.