HELP - Fundamental Question

Ken Whaley ken@believe.com
Fri Feb 2 21:03:00 GMT 2001


I believe that -core- contains just the C compiler, while the non-core
(or "full") distribution contains compilers (front-ends) for all 
languages supported by GCC.  From http://gcc.gnu.org:
"Currently GCC contains front-ends for C, C++, Objective C, 
Chill, Fortran, and Java as well as libraries for 
these languages (libstdc++, libgcj,...). 

         Ken



> -----Original Message-----
> From: gcc-owner@gcc.gnu.org [ mailto:gcc-owner@gcc.gnu.org]On Behalf Of
> Gentry Jeff
> Sent: Friday, February 02, 2001 4:42 PM
> To: Gcc-Help-Mailing (E-mail); Gcc-Mailing (E-mail)
> Subject: HELP - Fundamental Question
> 
> 
> Hello all,
> 
> I am working on a project using GNU tools.
> I have run across documents that refer to
> gcc-x.x.x.tar.gz and gcc-core-x.x.x.tar.gz
> files. What is the difference between the
> two? Do they serve different purposes?
> I haven't found a document that answers
> this question yet.
> 
> Thanks much,
> 
> Jeff Gentry,
> Sr. Software Design Engineer
> PEI Electronics,
> An Integrated Defense Technologies Company
> Email: JGentry@pei-idt.com
> Voice: (256) 895-2106
> Fax:   (256) 895-2222 
> 


More information about the Gcc-help mailing list