Is there a way to make static executable out of ELF shared one?

vda vda@port.imtp.ilyichevsk.odessa.ua
Wed Dec 12 06:39:00 GMT 2001


On Wednesday 12 December 2001 05:52, Axel Kittenberger wrote:
> > Yes I can but most shared binaries need (guess what?....) libc
> > which isn't exactly small :-(
>
> I do not now what your apps do but without a libc yoh have not interfacing
> in na way (except raising the kernel traps yourself), no printf, no puts,
> no exit, and argh you don't even have something that calls your main
> routine. (You'll have to make the sjstem jump in yourself) Until you aren't
> doing something very very special/crazy there will be na way aronud having
> any libc) It's like building an embedded processor without RAM.

Hmm.. My apps are standard things like modprobe.
I just want to link only those parts of libc which are used by modprobe
into static version of the binary and use it on a ramdisk.
What's wrong with my intention?

Some misunderstanding is here on your part.
--
vda



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list