Installing DBI/GCC

Alexandre Oliva aoliva@redhat.com
Thu Aug 23 23:39:00 GMT 2001

On Aug 23, 2001, Amy Roberts <amy.j.roberts@excite.com> wrote:

> The second reason is that we can not take a chance installing gcc as a
> precompiled package because that may compromise the existing Sun C++
> compiler.

Very unlikely, since this package will only add files to its own /opt
sub-directory.  I believe you may even relocate it to some other
directory.  Then, you can use this GCC to build your own GCC however
you want, then remove the package to get back to the original state.

> If there is a way to install gcc other than using a C compiler and without
> using pkgadd, or if there is another way to install DBI on Perl 5 and
> Solaris 2.6, I would appreciate your advice.

You need a C compiler.  If you don't have one, getting a pre-compiled
compiler is the only option.