Compiling snapshot of gcc on HP-UX 11.00

Martin Kalen martin.kalen@todaysystems.com.au
Mon Apr 23 21:32:00 GMT 2001


All the instructions I find on the net and in maillist archives are
for
building 2.92.2 versions, for which I already have broken binaries
that are only good for C-code and do not generate proper C++ code
(binaries from the HP-UX porting archive).

Has anyone had any luck in compiling a late snapshot on HP-UX 11?

I am on a:
HP-UX anchor B.11.00 U 9000/800

and armed with the following toolset:
HP ANSI C compiler (/opt/ansic/bin)
or
GNU C compiler: gcc 2.95.2 for hppa2.0n (gcc version 2.95.2 19991024
(release))
GNU assembler: 2.11.90 for hppa2.0w
HP linker: 92453-07 linker command s800.sgs ld B.11.13 REL 990903
GNU Make: version 3.79.1

There was a macro in config/pa/pa.c that the HP tools could not
handle, namely "#define FRP (INSN) INSN" on line 2958 as of version
1.110. Changing that one to "#define FRP(INSN) INSN" helps this
particular problem. (I.e. remove the space between the macro name and
the parameter.)

The ANSI C compiler now chokes on the recent (2001-03-28 by rth at
redhat.com) change in dwarf2out to make current_funcdef_number global
(it can't find that symbol when later trying to build an arhive of the
objects).

I have tried a lot of different combinations, the latest one was to
use gcc and the following configuration:
configure -disable-nls -enable-languages=c,c++ --prefix=/home/users/ma
rtin/local --with-gnu-as --with-as=/home/users/martin/local/bin/as
hppa2.0n-hp-hpux11.00
(The hppa2.0n is there as I thought that my gcc binary compiled for
this target might
not handle hppa2.0w well...?)

gmake bootstrap works heaps better with gcc/gas than with the native
compiler and seems to go into stage1, however it eventually chokes on:
"
stage1/xgcc -Bstage1/ -B/home/users/martin/local/hppa2.0n-hp-hpux11.00
/bin/ -c  -DIN_GCC    -g -O2 -W -Wall -Wwrite-strings -Wstrict-prototy
pes -Wmissing-prototypes   -DHAVE_CONFIG_H    -I. -Icp -I/usrmnt/home/
users/martin/gnugcc/gcc -I/usrmnt/home/users/martin/gnugcc/gcc/cp -I/u
srmnt/home/users/martin/gnugcc/gcc/config -I/usrmnt/home/users/martin/
gnugcc/gcc/../include
/usrmnt/home/users/martin/gnugcc/gcc/cp/decl2.c -o cp/decl2.o
/usrmnt/home/users/martin/gnugcc/gcc/cp/decl2.c:405:
`ENABLE_STD_NAMESPACE' undeclared here (not in a function)
"

Should I revert to the latest snapshot or some other CVS tag, and not
use "bleeding edge" directly from CVS?

Any helpful hints or suggestions will be greatly appriciated. Thanks!
    /Martin



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list