Building a 64-bit capable gcc compiler on Solaris

Kenneth Lareau elessar@numenor.org
Tue Apr 3 18:41:00 GMT 2001


Given that the subreg byte patch was recently added to the current
gcc branch, I thought I'd give another go at attempting to build a
working 64-bit gcc compiler on Solaris (specifically Solaris 8).

The build's still going, but I've been having decent luck so far,
with a few catches: since I'm starting with gcc 2.95.2, I needed
to re-enable (at least I believe I do) the 32-to-64 cross-compile
section in gcc/config.gcc for Solaris.  However, a few times dur-
ing the build, I've needed to "rebuild" certain segments which
were built with the original gcc on my system with the xgcc which
was created from the first stage pass; namely libibery and zlib.

I'm assuming this is because I'm trying to do a cross-compile of
sorts, so I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on a better
method of attacking this process in the future; the cross-gcc FAQ
seems to be a bit out of date, and it's not quite clear what steps
I should be following to "successfully" build gcc (the word "suc-
cessfully" being somewhat vague here, as I know there's still pro-
bably issues with the 64-bit SPARC support as a whole).  Can any-
one assist?


Ken Lareau
elessar@numenor.org


(I'm hoping the above made sense; if there's any need for clar-
 ification, please let me know.)



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list