Building GCC

Michael J. McGillick mike@dunamis.ne.mediaone.net
Thu Sep 14 05:43:00 GMT 2000

Good Morning:

I did a fresh install of HP-UX 11.00 on a PA-RISC machine - Model
9000/712/80.  I also applied the June 2000 extensions CD to make sure it has
all of the latest updates.  I’m trying to get GCC built on this machine.
Here are the steps I followed:

·	I downloaded gcc-2.95.2.tar.gz from the GNU site.
·	I downloaded binutils-2.10.tar.gz from the GNU site.
·	I extracted both files into their respective directories.
·	I then copied from the binutils-2.10 directory the following directories
and placed them in the gcc-2.95.2 directory:
o	bfd
o	binutils
o	gas
o	ld
o	intl
o	opcodes

According to the directions in the GCC documents, by including these
directories, these will get built along with the compiler.  Again, this is a
clean system with absolutely no utilities on it other than what is shipped
out by HP.

I created a separate build folder as the instructions suggest, and I cd into
it.  I then type the following command:

   ../gcc-2.95.2/configure

The configure scripts chugs away happily for a few minutes.  It appears that
it’s going through checking to see if my system has various things.  The
script starts off like this, and I’m not sure if this is important or not:

Configuring for a hppa1.1-hp-hpux11.00 host.
*** This configuration is not supported in the following subdirectories:
     ld
    (Any other directories should still work fine.)
Created "Makefile" in /downloads/build-directory using "mh-frag"
(Bundled) cc: warning 480: The -g option is available only with the C/ANSI C
product; ignored.
Configuring intl...
creating cache ../config.cache
checking for a BSD compatible install...
../../gcc-2.95.2/intl/../install-sh -c
checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E
checking for gcc... cc
checking whether the C compiler (cc -g ) works... yes
checking whether the C compiler (cc -g ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C... no
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for POSIXized ISC... no
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for working const... no
checking for inline... no
checking for off_t... yes
checking for size_t... yes
checking for working alloca.h... yes
checking for alloca... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking for getpagesize... yes
checking for working mmap... no

The script continues to chug along, with only 1 warning showing up similar
to the one about the -g option not being available until it gets to this
point:

checking if the linker (/bin/ld) is GNU ld... no
checking whether the linker (/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking command to parse /bin/nm -p output... yes
checking how to hardcode library paths into programs... relink
checking for /bin/ld option to reload object files... -r
checking dynamic linker characteristics... hpux11.00 dld.sl
checking if libtool supports shared libraries... no
checking whether to build shared libraries... no
checking for objdir... .libs
creating libtool
checking for gcc... (cached) cc
checking whether the C compiler (cc -g ) works... yes
checking whether the C compiler (cc -g ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C... (cached) no
checking whether cc accepts -g... (cached) no
checking for bison... no
checking for byacc... no
checking how to run the C preprocessor... (cached) cc -E
checking for flex... no
checking for lex... no
../../gcc-2.95.2/binutils/configure[1935]: flex:  not found.
checking for flex... lex
checking for yywrap in -ll... yes
checking lex output file root... ../../gcc-2.95.2/binutils/configure[2023]:
lex:  not found.
configure: error: cannot find output from lex; giving up
Configure in /downloads/build-directory/binutils failed, exiting.

Here, the script just stops.

Any ideas what I’m doing wrong here?  I’m probably misunderstanding a lot of
what needs to be done.  Is there something that has to be installed on the
machine ahead of time, and can’t be built initially?

- Mike