Problem building gcc-2.95.2 on Solaris 2.5.1

Brett, Colin Colin.Brett@chadwyck.co.uk
Thu Sep 14 03:41:00 GMT 2000

Hi,

I have encountered a fatal error during the build stage of installing
gcc-2.95.2. The configure stage proceeds OK and the Makefile is created OK.
During the "make bootstrap" phase, the process crashes with the following
fatal errors:

Making all in makeinfo
make: Fatal error: Don't know how to make target `../lib/system.h'
Current working directory /local4/opt/gcc-2.95.2-32bit/texinfo/makeinfo
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all-recursive'
Current working directory /local4/opt/gcc-2.95.2-32bit/texinfo
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all-recursive-am'
Current working directory /local4/opt/gcc-2.95.2-32bit/texinfo
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all-texinfo'

The installation is on a Sun Sparc-20, running Solaris 2.5.1. The machine
has 4 CPUs and 256Mb memory; there is about 680Mb of available diskspace in
the partition I'm installing to. I think the existing version of gcc with
which I am compiling the new version is 2.7.2.1 (probably very old) and I'm
using Sun's own make command (/usr/ccs/bin/make).

Any pointers you can give me would be gratefully received.

Regards,
Colin Brett, UNIX Systems Administrator,
Chadwyck-Healey Ltd,
Tel: 01223 271371
Email: colin.brett@chadwyck.co.uk