Interoperation problem between GNU C and HP-UX assembler

law@redhat.com law@redhat.com
Mon Nov 20 08:04:00 GMT 2000


  In message < 20001120103807.5051.cpmta@c000.snv.cp.net >you write:
  > Hello,
  > 
  > I am developing an application on a HP-UX machine where I have successfully
  >  installed GNU compiler collection and make. Version is: hppa2.0w-hp-hpux11
  > .00
  > 
  > However, I am having trouble when compiling my sources. This is the error m
  > essages I get:
These are not errors.  they are warnings and have no effect on the resulting
code.

Basically HP changed specifications for their assembler a few years ago and
older versions of GCC didn't know about the change.

Updating to a more recent version of GCC should fix that problem, but as I
mentioned before, it's just a warning and doesn't actually show any end-user
effects.

  > I believe this is an interoperation problem due to the assembler shipped wi
  > th HP-UX. According to http://www.cco.caltech.edu/cco/texinfo/gcc/gcc_9.htm
  > l#SEC96 "taking the address of a label may generate errors from the HP-UX P
  > A assembler; GAS for the PA does not have this problem".
No, these warnings have nothing to do with that issue.


  > I can not find the GNU assembler, which seems to be necessary to solve my p
  > roblems. Do you have any idea about where I can find it? Could something el
  > se produce such an error message?
It's part of the GNU binutils package.
jeff




More information about the Gcc-help mailing list