WG: Query on bash Shell....

Alexandre Oliva aoliva@redhat.com
Thu Nov 9 05:22:00 GMT 2000

On Nov  9, 2000, "Milan Mithbaokar" <milan@tourisline.de> wrote:

>   I have a query which I had posted on Sun Site and was directed to GNU
> site.

This mailing is about GCC, the GNU Compiler Collection.  BASH is a
separate package, and there are mailing lists and newsgroups devoted
to it.

> e.g in Bourn shell $echo "\n"
> new line is printed.

Which is quite unfortunate, because there's no way to safely echo some
string on such systems.

>   but when we type in bash shell it does not treat \  as a special
> character e.g
> bash$echo "\n"
> \n is printed.wheras in the man pages of bash it says that it treats
> \ as a special character.

Just above the table of special characters, you'll find a note that
the `-e' flag should be used to enable interpretation of escape
characters.