AIX 4.3.3 gcc install

Tom Schultz TSchultz@lind-waldock.com
Thu Nov 23 07:08:00 GMT 2000


Title: AIX 4.3.3 gcc install





Please help!


I'm trying to install gcc on a RS6000/AIX4.3.3 box.


After running configure the  ../gcc/Makefile contains the following trouble-some lines, starting at line 600.
(the asterisks are mine)
*********************************************************************************
# Both 32-bit and 64-bit objects in archives
AR_FOR_TARGET=ar -X32_64


####cross overrides



Server /usr/local/bin/nmbd has ended with exit status 0x100.


####build overrides


Server /usr/local/bin/nmbd has ended with exit status 0x100.
#L
**********************************************************************************


I assume this indicates that nmbd failed.  I commented out the two lines that begin with "Server ..." and did the "make bootstrap" The Makefile in ./gcc/cp are suffers from the same problem.

Here is how I ran configure:
*******************
/software/gnu/gcc-2.95/configure --prefix=/software/gcc/bin --enable-shared --enable-threads --without-gnu-as --without-gnu-ld -- enable-languages=chill,c++

*******************


After "fixing" the makefile and running it I get:
*******************
rm -f collect2
cc  -DIN_GCC -DHAIFA    -g  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -o collect2 collect2.o tlink.o hash.o intl.o underscore.o version.o  obstack.o alloca.o      -lld .../libiberty/libibert

y.a
ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: ..alloca
******************
I'm using gnu/make-3.77 and IBM CSet Version 3.6.4 as the native compiler.  I have CC defined to be cc (but it is only a symlink to xlc).  I have read the IBM specific instructions where problems with alloca.o are discussed, but I'm not sure what to do about this.

Any help you can offer will be much appreciated.  I could download the prebuilt compiler for AIX, but I don't really want to install it into /usr/local/bin because I want to be able to easily remove it after I'm finished with my project and I'm not the system administrator.

-- Tom Schultz


Extreme Software Inc
Saint Charles, IL 60175







+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
WARNING: All E-Mail sent to or from this user address will be accepted 
by the Lind-Waldock corporate E-Mail system and is subject to archival
and review by someone other than the recipient.
+--------------------------------------------------------------------+




More information about the Gcc-help mailing list