Installing gcc/g++: where did I go wrong?
George Adams
learningapache@my-Deja.com
Tue May 9 07:51:00 GMT 2000
I THOUGHT I knew how to do this, and I thought the docs were pretty clear. But after several hours of utterly failing to solve this, I'm turning to those who can probably easily figure out where I went wrong.
I'm trying to install gcc/g++ on a SunOS 5.6 box. I downloaded the full gcc-2.95.tar.gz distribution (12meg), unpacked it into /tmp/gcc- 2.95, and did the following:
> cd /tmp
> mkdir gccobj
> cd gccobj
> ../gcc-2.95/configure --prefix=/home/gawhite/gcc
> make bootstrap
> make install
After many hours, the compilation and installation finished. I tested gcc on a "Hello world" C program - no problems there. But when I tried g++, I got this:
> /home/gawhite/gcc/bin/g++ /tmp/test.cc
ld: fatal: library -lstdc++: not found
ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to a.out
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
I'm not really much of a C/C++ programmer, but I seem to recall that this indicates g++ is looking for, and not finding, a file
called "libstdc++.a" or "libstdc++.so". At any rate, the only "lib*" files I could find in /home/gawhite/gcc were:
/home/gawhite/gcc/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.6/2.95/libgcc.a /home/gawhite/gcc/lib/libiberty.a
/home/gawhite/gcc/include/g++-3/libio.h
/home/gawhite/gcc/include/g++-3/libioP.h
Now, I see that in /tmp/gcc-2.95, there ARE a number of "lib*" directories:
/tmp/gcc-2.95/libchill/
/tmp/gcc-2.95/libf2c/
/tmp/gcc-2.95/libiberty/
/tmp/gcc-2.95/libio/
/tmp/gcc-2.95/libobjc/
/tmp/gcc-2.95/libstdc++/
but in /tmp/gccobj, there are only these:
/tmp/gccobj/gcc
/tmp/gccobj/libiberty
/tmp/gccobj/libio
so it seems that the libstdc++ (and maybe other) libraries I need are never being built and/or installed.
I didn't THINK I had to specify which languages I wanted to use when I ran the "configure" command - the docs indicate that if I don't specify the "--enable_languages" flag, that "all languages available in the gcc sub-tree will be configured."
So where did I go wrong?
Thanks to anyone who can help!
--== Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ ==--
Before you buy.
More information about the Gcc-help
mailing list