Linux g++2.95.2 binaries on egcs 1.1.2 system?

jlquinn@us.ibm.com jlquinn@us.ibm.com
Mon Jul 31 11:23:00 GMT 2000


I'm having trouble figuring out the best solution to the following
question.  I have a redhat linux system on which I have installed gcc
2.95.2.  Normally when I build a c++ library, I get dependencies on
libstdc++-libc6.1-2.so.3, which is actually
libstdc++-3-libc6.1-2-2.10.0.so.  This makes it appear that using this
library on a stock redhat system (both 6.1 and 6.2) that has only egcs
1.1.2 installed is impossible, as they have libraries with an earlier
soname.

However, perusing the docs and NEWS files in gcc 2.95.2 don't mention any
incompatibility in ABI or lib between egcs 1.1.2 and gcc 2.95.2.  Also, the
nm output for the two stdc++ libs are very similar (although that's a
dangerous test).

So the question remains - can I do this or do I have to downgrade to egcs
if I want people with a stock system to run my stuff without recompile or
obtaining the newer stdc++ lib (I won't be able to distribute it)?

I've looked in the gcc-help archive and FAQ's  for a satisfactory answer to
this but haven't found one.  So either the answer isn't out there yet, or
I'm not recognizing it when I do see it.

Thanks
Jerry Quinn




More information about the Gcc-help mailing list