solaris 8, undefined symbol target_flags in tradcpp.o

John Palkovic jpalkovic@hyperfeed.com
Fri Jul 7 13:51:00 GMT 2000


I checked out a snapshot via anon CVS this morning, 7 July 2000.
It was configured with

  ../src/configure --enable-threads

GNU assembler version 2.10 (sparc-sun-solaris2.8) using BFD version 2.10
GNU ld version 2.10 (with BFD 2.10)
GNU Make version 3.79

I have attempted the build with gcc 2.95.2 and 2.96, the build always
dies trying to link tradcpp (line-wrapped for readability):

  gcc -c  -DIN_GCC  -DSVR4  -g  -W -Wall -Wtraditional \
   -Wwrite-strings -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes \
   -pedantic -Wno-long-long  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  \
    -I. -I../../src/gcc -I../../src/gcc/config \
    -I../../src/gcc/../include ../../src/gcc/tradcpp.c 
  gcc  -DIN_GCC  -DSVR4  -g  -W -Wall -Wtraditional \
   -Wwrite-strings -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes \
   -pedantic -Wno-long-long  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -o tradcpp \
  tradcpp.o tradcif.o cppdefault.o version.o \
  intl.o obstack.o alloca.o  ./intl/libintl.a     ../libiberty/libiberty.a
  Undefined                       first referenced
   symbol                             in file
  target_flags                        tradcpp.o
  ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to tradcpp
  collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Some digging indicates that the undefined symbol comes from
initialize_builtins() in tradcpp.c, the offending lines would be the
calls to the macro install_value starting at line 4676:

  install_value ("__SIZE_TYPE__",         SIZE_TYPE);
  install_value ("__PTRDIFF_TYPE__",      PTRDIFF_TYPE);
  install_value ("__WCHAR_TYPE__",        WCHAR_TYPE);
  install_value ("__REGISTER_PREFIX__",   REGISTER_PREFIX);
  install_value ("__USER_LABEL_PREFIX__", user_label_prefix);

Any clues out there?

-John

-- 
HyperFeed Technologies
Unix Development


More information about the Gcc-help mailing list