Arraysizes in g77 (gcc-2.95.2)

Andre Albsmeier andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de
Sun Jan 23 23:16:00 GMT 2000

Hello all,

I am using GCC 2.95.2. I have a program for antenna simulation which
is mostly written in fortran. I am using an array of complex variables
(the size of one element is 16 bytes). I can allocate only 33554431 of
these elements. When trying to use more than that, the compiler stops
with an error:

cd .; /usr/local/bin/g77 -O2 -finit-local-zero -fomit-frame-pointer -s -c qustn.f
celem.inc: In subroutine `qust':
celem.inc:3:
         complex*16  celem(ndim)
                     ^
Array `celem' at (^) is too large to handle

33554431 * 16 is exactly 512 * 1024 * 1024 - 16 bytes. So I
assume it is not possible to declare an array that is bigger
than 512MB - sizeof(one_element).

Now my question: Do you know if I can simply bump some number
in some file of GCC to increase this limit a bit?

Thanks a lot in advance!

	-Andre