64 bit gcc

Alexandre Oliva aoliva@redhat.com
Fri Dec 8 13:28:00 GMT 2000

On Dec  8, 2000, "Grove, David" <David_Grove@health.state.ak.us> wrote:

> But when attempting to link with 64 bit libraries supplied by Informix (they
> used Sun Workshop 5.0 compiler with -xarch=v9) it fails with the following
> message:

> "gcc: language arch=v9 not recognized"

IIRC, this is a flag for the linker, so you have to use -Wl,-xarch=v9
so that GCC doesn't attempt to understand the flag itself, and passes
it literally to the linker.  I'd think -m64 might implicitly pass this
flag to the linker, but I can't see any hooks to do it in the GCC
configuration files.  Try to use just -m64 -v and see whether the flag
shows up in the linker command line.  If not, pass it in explicitly
as suggested above.

> It's ironic that Sun recommended (in a training class I attended)
> the GNU compiler over their own product!

Wow!  Cool :-)