Installation problem with gcc

Rose-Mary Cordeiro Rose.Cordeiro@rcmp-grc.gc.ca
Tue Aug 29 06:07:00 GMT 2000

Hello:

I'm hoping someone can help me out! I downloaded gcc-2_95_2-sol8-sparc-local.gz and   gcc-2_95_2_tar.gz from sunfreeware to install on my E250/E450 Sun boxes. I followed these steps:

installed the SMCgcc package
unzip / untar gcc-2_95_2_tar.gz in /usr/local
I cd gcc-2_95_2 and ran the configure executable to create the Makefile
when I try to run make (from /usr/local/gcc-2_95_2) I get the following error after a short period:
test x"no" != xyes || \
  /usr/local/bin/gcc -c -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -g -O2 -I. -I./../include   floatformat.c -o pic/floatformat.o
/usr/local/bin/gcc -c -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -g -O2 -I. -I./../include  floatformat.c
In file included from floatformat.c:21:
/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/2.95.2/include/math.h:5: math.h: No such file or directory
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `floatformat.o'
Current working directory /fs2/symbolic/usr/local/gcc-2.95.2/libiberty
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all-libiberty'

One of the problems which I first encounter was knowing which Solaris packages are required for gcc (for security reasons, theses servers have been configured with only the SUN End User Packages. I have located most of the packages dealing with compilers, C language, header files etc but it is possible that I have missed some or perhaps just one. I also have trouble understanding the math.h error as I am not a programmer! I also know that floatformat.o does not get created as I have searched for the file - but why? I checked the installation instructions several times but have not been able to solve this problem.

Can anyone offer any advice or help? Thanks so much for any help and time spent with this!

Regards,
Rose
thx