Compiling from CD

S. Troughton stuart@trognet.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 22 14:43:00 GMT 2000

Hello,

I am not sure that I am asking this question in the correct place, so if I am
wrong 1) sorry and 2) can you tell me where to ask it.

The question itself is about compiling GCC and glibc from source contained on a
CD using a binary of GCC and  libraries contained on the CD.
Is this possible ?
Has anybody done it ?
If so where can I get a copy ?
If not would anybody else be interested ?

The reason I ask is that I am looking into distributions of software and one of
the main problems I see is that a distro seems targeted at a specific
architecture. To overcome this limitation I thought why not have a CD full of
precompiled binaries for each arch, then compile from source on another/the
same CD onto the target arch.

Fully static versions of fdisk and mk??fs are easy, as is a small script to
speed things up, but I can not find any reference to anybody trying this
before, except the pre-built Solaris GCC.

TIA
--
Stuart
Microsoft - because God hates us