GCC for SHARC port to PC (numerical C)

Alan Lehotsky lehotsky@tiac.net
Sat Apr 1 00:00:00 GMT 2000


In article < 38754F47.BDF3113D@well.com >, Kenneth Porter 
<shiva@well.com> wrote:

>>>mj wrote:
>>>> 
>>>> Hi
>>>> The gcc port by ADI for the sharc includes numerical extensions to the 
>>>> C
>>>> language (vector, complex arithmetic).  I am interested in developing 
>>>> code
>>>> on a PC and port it to the SHARC at a later stage.  I would like to 
>>>> compile
>>>> numerical C codes with gcc on a PC without a SHARC.  Does anybody have
>>>> experience with this? Must I recompile the compiler for the PC?
>>>> TYIA
>>>> Marthinus
>>>
>>>I think Gnu adopted the numeric extensions at one point, but I don't
>>>know if they're in the current generation of the compiler. There *is* a
>>>PC port of gcc. Check out Cygwin ( http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/ )
>>>for example.


   I'm pretty sure that:

   1/ The ADI extensions never worked correctly.  At least not if
      you turned on the optimizer.

   2/ They have long since been obsoleted in the GCC code
      (there was some discussion about some code support for
       iterators that wasn't totally dead, but nobody had a clue
       about how it was supposed to work.)

   -- Al

-- 
                Quality Software Management
             http://www.tiac.net/users/lehotsky

Process Improvement | Management Consulting | Compiler Implementation


More information about the Gcc-help mailing list