Help with a.out

jwk _hate_spam_thunder7@xs4all.nl
Thu Sep 30 23:56:00 GMT 1999

On Mon, 13 Sep 1999 18:52:52 -0500, user
<user@students.uwf.edu> wrote:
>I'm having the same problem under Linux-Mandrake 6.0....let me know if
>you hear anything.
>
>> I'm trying to use gcc on my Red Hat 6.0.  I did the following.
>>
>> gcc -o a.out test.c
>>
>> Then, I have the following files
>>
>> a.out    test.c
>>
>> Then I typed the following.
>>
>> a.out
>>
>> Then, it gave me the following error message.
>>
>> bash: a.out: command not found.

you should search http://www.dejanews.com for something like ". in path"
or "./a.out". Much has been written on that. Basically, the current
directory is not in your path for security reasons, so to execute a.out
in the current directory you type ./a.out not a.out

Good luck,
Jurriaan

PS Please quote *below* the posts, it makes it much easier to read.

--
The most effective debugging tool is still careful thought, coupled with
judiciously placed print statements.