threads not in configure file for some HPUX?

Robert A Nesius rnesius@ichips.intel.com
Thu Sep 30 23:56:00 GMT 1999

On Wed, 15 Sep 1999, Jeffrey A Law wrote:

>   In message < Pine.GSO.4.02A.9909142254550.15251-100000@pdxss964.pdx.intel.com >
> you write:
>   > I noticed that there was no code in the gcc/configure script
>   > in the hppa1.1-*-hp*   paragraph as opposed to the
>   > hppa1.0-*-hpux10* paragraph.
> Err, look immediately before the paragraph you quoted and you will find the
> clause you are looking for.  Remember, case matching in the shell is top
> to bottom.  So the hppa1.1-*-hpux10* earlier in the file overrides the
> hpa1.1-*-hpux* later in the file.

Err, you're right. :)

It was late, but I still should have seen that.

> If you configure with --enable-threads, you are always going to have to link
> in your thread library, even when compiling programs that do not directly
> use threads.
>
>Why?  Because the exception handling mechanisms in the libraries will reference
> the thread routines.

I see (sort of).   Why doesn't gcc automatically link against the
threads lib when it needs to if it's been built threads-enabled?
(If that answer requires more time than you have don't sweat it.  :)

Thanks Jeff!

-Rob

--
#include <sig.h>