gcc - 2.95 and SPARC 64bit

Matthew Gierlach mjg@adax.com
Mon Sep 13 11:06:00 GMT 1999

Hello GNU gcc help team:

	We use the gcc compiler for all our 32 bit UNIX based driver
	development for our Solaris SPARC and Solaris x86 2.5/2.6
	based product line.

	For continuity, we would like to have one gcc compiler to compile
	our driver products for both the sparcv7/v8 and the 64-bit sparc-v9
	(Solaris 2.7) instruction sets.

	We have a copy of the gcc-2.95 sources and we find the following
	information in the install/SPECIFIC file of the distribution:

   sparc64-*-*

   GCC version 2.95 is not able to compile code correctly for sparc64
   targets. Users of the Linux kernel, at least, can use the sparc32
   program to start up a new shell invocation with an environment that
   causes configure to recognize (via uname -a) the system as sparc-*-*
   instead.

	Does this have negative implications to using gcc - 2.95 for 64-bit
	compilations for sparc v9 architecture?

	Also, what are the compile flags for gcc - 2.95 to produce code for
	64-bit sparc v9 architecture?

	Thanks, Matt Gierlach - Director of Engineering - Adax, Inc.