I need to program in Windows

Robert Luke raluke@home.com
Sun Oct 10 18:02:00 GMT 1999

David Paul Young <david.young@stud.umist.ac.uk> wrote in message
news: 7tpovb$5pf$1@probity.mcc.ac.uk ...
> I have used
> GCC and I liked it but, my computer runs Windows and I am looking for a
> program to download from the net to program with.  As a student I don't
have
> much money and would prefer a free option.

David,

Check out the Cygwin page at http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/ and see
the links.

1.  Download and install the Cygwin library.  This'll give you a bash shell
with some unix functionality on top of your Win98.  The link is at the top
of the page:  look for "Latest release: Beta 20.1"  The instructions are
pretty easy to follow.

2.  Look farther down the page and look for Mumit Khan's gcc 2.95.  The link
will take you to his web site.  You can download instructions and software.

I just did this with my laptop and it works like a charm.  Keep asking your
questions, I've found that most people are helpful on this newsgroup.  I'm
new to C programming myself and will read your questions and the replies
with interest.

Hope this helps,
-Robert

---