problem with gcc-2.95 on Solaris 2.6

Patrick Chan patrick@rcsm.ece.mcgill.ca
Fri Oct 1 00:00:00 GMT 1999


Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone has seen this one:

Trying to compile gcc-2.95 on Solaris 2.6 using the Sun
Workshop 5.0 compiler. The compare phase fails with:

Bootstrap comparison failure!
emit-rtl.o differs
make[1]: *** [compare] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/gcc-2.95-objdir/gcc'
make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2
*** Error code 2
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all'                             

However, if I modify the build procedure to:

-( cd <objdir>; make bootstrap )
cd <objdir>/gcc; make stage3
cd <objdir>; make bootstrap4

The comparison between stage3 and stage4 is clean and
the compiler finishes the build properly.

Q: Is this new compiler built with 4 stages any good? I
   will try building some stuff with this compiler
   and see how it goes but I thought I should ask
   the experts b4 attempting...

FYI, I have used the Sun Workshop 5.0 compiler to build
successfully the following:

gcc-2.8.1
egcs-1.1b
egcs-1.1.2

And if I use either gcc-2.8.1 or egcs-1.1b to bootstrap
gcc-2.95 (instead of the workshop 5.0 cc), gcc-2.95 builds
fine with 3 stages using the standard procedure.

Also, gcc-2.95 on Solaris 2.6 builds fine with the older
Sun Workshop 4.2 compiler using the same standard procedure.

Comments?

--
Patrick Chan <patrick@rcsm.ece.mcgill.ca>
2B 30 6A 1D 5E AB 78 1E  6D D1 79 FC CD 36 CE 8C



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list