trouble configuring/making glibc

Andy Ganse aganse@drizzle.com
Fri Oct 1 00:00:00 GMT 1999

Hi,
I'm using a sun-sparc-solaris2.7, and want to have a complete
gnu-development set on my system in addition to my SunWorks dev set.
My problem is that when I try configure & make glibc 1.09.1 (the most
recent version of glibc that works on solaris2.x), it automatically
searches for preexisting include-files and libraries on the system - if
found it will use those instead of the ones that come in the tarball to
make glibc with.  So the configure script sees all my SunWorks includes
and libs in /usr, and tries to use those, and I'm assuming that's what's
causing all the ensuing errors when trying to make glibc.

So I thought there'd be some kind of option to turn that search off so
that all the files that came in the glibc dist would be used before any
others, but there is apparently no such option.  I tried modifying the
makefiles myself to remove the search, but unlike every other GNU
distribution I've installed and/or messed with, the scripts and makefiles
in this one were actually quite obfuscated and murky - the only thing I
could make afterwards was a mess.  ;)

I can provide more details if necessary, but initially what I'm looking
for is if anyone else has made this version of glibc on their system while
you had the includes and libs from another compiler on there already. Did
you have similar trouble with that automatic search and if so what did you
do to deal with it?

By the way, I should reiterate that I cannot just try making a more recent
version of glibc because I'm using Solaris2.7, and glibc1.09.1 is the
latest that will run on Solaris2+.  Which leads me to also ask - using
glibc1.09.1 *is* my only reasonable choice then if I'm using Solaris,
right?  I've seen a surprising number of others at my work here running
gcc on their Solaris box with the Sun libc.a, and wouldn't that make one's
code somewhat unportable to other GNU environments?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Regards,
-Andy G.