gcc 2.95.1 Linux Install trouble "-lgcc"

Gerhard Heinzel ghh@mpq.mpg.de
Fri Oct 1 00:00:00 GMT 1999


Sorry if this is an FAQ, but I cannot find the answer...

I tried to install gcc2.95.1 with the pgcc patch
(but I think the problem has nothing to to with the pgcc patch)

I did as recommenbded:

mkdir objdir
cd objdir
/(sourcedir)/configure
make bootstrap.

My system is
Linux ghhpc 2.0.36  i686 unknown

The first attempt to bootstrap fails
at some point because of a "permission denied".
Running it as root succeeds.
Then I type "make install"
which proceeds without error.
But when I try to compile a program 
I get:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot open -lgcc: No such file or directory
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

$ ld --version
GNU ld 2.9.1
Copyright 1997 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License.  This program has absolutely no warranty.
  Supported emulations:
   elf_i386
   i386linux


I never asked for "-lgcc" ! What does it mean?
I have installed various versions of "egcs" before
and never had any such problem.

Please help.

Gerhard
                              


-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
 Gerhard Heinzel               e-mail: gerhard.heinzel@nao.ac.jp
 Space-Time Astronomy Section, 
 National Astronomical Observatory, 2-21-1 Ohsawa, Mitaka,
 Tokyo 181-8588, Japan,    FAX: 81+422-34-3793,  Tel. 81+422-34-3618
 http://tamago.mtk.nao.ac.jp/    http://users.cybercity.dk/~cis6614/Lucia 
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list