Installing gcc as a cross compiler

Michael Semenchenko michael-sem@usa.net
Wed Nov 17 20:31:00 GMT 1999

Hello !

I need to build the GNU cross compiler and cross linker:
  host:     i586-pc-linux
  target:   alpha-dec-osf

I was using sources:
  gcc:      gcc-2.95.2
  binutils: binutils-2.9.1

When configuring 'binutils' I get the message that 'as' and 'ld' are
incompatible with specified configuration. These programs were not built.
When building 'gcc' I got the linker error:
  toplev.o (.text+0x1d6a): Undefined reference to ASM_FILE_START

I shall greatly appreciate receiving answers on following questions:

- does anyone succeeded in doing this ?

- what I was doing wrong ?

- where can I get some specific information on 'gcc' as a cross-compiler ?
  Can I find anywhere in the net the list of cross-configurations succesfully
  installed ?

- are 'configure' options --with-as=/path/to/assembler and --with-ld=
  /path/to/ld obligatory ?

- can I build the GNU cross compiler, assembler and linker without
  system include files from DEC Alpha present in my computer ? In other way:
  is 'configure' option --with-headers=dir obligatory ?

- can I build the GNU cross compiler, assembler and linker without
  target runtime libraries present in my computer ? In other way: is
  'configure' option --with-libs=dir obligatory ?

Thank you for any comments.
Yours, Michael.