[Bug libstdc++/59170] pretty printers: end iterator invalid pointer
jan.kratochvil at redhat dot com
gcc-bugzilla@gcc.gnu.org
Tue Dec 13 20:24:00 GMT 2016
https://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=59170
--- Comment #11 from Jan Kratochvil <jan.kratochvil at redhat dot com> ---
(In reply to Jonathan Wakely from comment #9)
> Most developers don't even know the debug mode exists.
That's a problem communicating it to users. -O0 -g would be best to always use
-D_GLIBCXX_DEBUG if there is a way how to solve the ABI compatibility problem.
> I don't know what "code for debugging with pretty printers" means. Users
> don't do anything special for debugging with pretty printers,
There are various kinds of bugs/crashes I am used to debug. For code where I
benefit from pretty printers I can+do use -O0 -g -D_GLIBCXX_DEBUG during
edit-compile-debug cycles. For system packages crashes (-O2 -g, no
_GLIBCXX_DEBUG) there are so many <optimized out> variables, missing method
instantiations and interleaved code there is no chance to start investigating
data structures so thoroughly to benefit even from a pretty printer. YMMV.
(In reply to Jonathan Wakely from comment #10)
> This is all already done, isn't it?
Wow, it really is. I remembered some worse experience with it. Thank you very
much for this notification.
More information about the Gcc-bugs
mailing list