[Bug libstdc++/57740] C++11 std::thread not usable with static linking
roland at gnu dot org
gcc-bugzilla@gcc.gnu.org
Thu Jun 27 22:12:00 GMT 2013
http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=57740
--- Comment #9 from roland at gnu dot org ---
(In reply to Andrew Pinski from comment #8)
> (In reply to roland from comment #7)
> > -static-libstdc++ is important
> > to avoid DSO dependencies specific to the GCC version, which varies across
> > installations in incompatible ways far more than libc/libpthread versions).
>
> No it does not. Or rather there have not been an ABI change in libstdc++
> since 3.4. If you compile with the oldest distro you support, it should
> work across all distros just fine. Just C++11 support was not part of most
> older distros because they came out before 2011 :).
I think I've run into actual problems of this nature. Perhaps it was with 3.4
or earlier, or perhaps I'm misremembering. The only specific scenario I can
recall at the moment might not have been a version skew issue, but rather the
need to have libstdc++.so.N at runtime at all.
More information about the Gcc-bugs
mailing list