[Bug c/54179] please split insn-emit.c !
jason.vas.dias at gmail dot com
gcc-bugzilla@gcc.gnu.org
Sun Aug 5 13:16:00 GMT 2012
http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=54179
--- Comment #11 from Jason Vas Dias <jason.vas.dias at gmail dot com> 2012-08-05 13:16:03 UTC ---
Thanks for the responses - I will try again with
'--enable-checking=release'.
But, I still don't think this bug is a "non-issue" - here's why:
RE: wbrana 2012-08-05 12:27:52 UTC
> 2 GB RAM isn't enough.
> It isn't good idea to use x86_64 with 2 GB RAM.
Sorry, but gcc shouldn't be enforcing this on us - I thought it was
supposed to be capable of being an embedded systems compiler - are
you saying gcc cannot be compiled or run on any embedded system with
less than 2GB RAM ? Surely not!
RE:
[reply] [-] Comment 9 Steven Bosscher 2012-08-05 12:33:56 UTC
Thanks for your response Steven!
> (In reply to comment #7)
>> cc1 is writing about one line every 2 minutes to its assembler output
file:
> If you've really configured with --enable-stage1-checking=all, you've
enabled
..
> All forms of --enable-checking=all are really for debugging purposes only
...
> Can you please try without -enable-stage1-checking=all?
Fair enough, OK, I will.
But I'd still like some kind of answer - why MUST insn-emit.c be so large ?
The answer "compiling lots of small .c files is slower that one large one"
is demonstrably false on my machine and on many other machines with not
much
RAM I suspect, and must be qualified with "if you have a platform with X
RAM
and X CPU speed" .
If the gcc build scripts detect they are running on a platform with less
than
4GB of RAM, say, they could decide to split insn-emit.c .
Why is it so inconceivable that they might in future do something like this
?
More information about the Gcc-bugs
mailing list