[Bug rtl-optimization/17236] inefficient code for long long multiply on x86
ubizjak at gmail dot com
gcc-bugzilla@gcc.gnu.org
Wed Dec 19 13:12:00 GMT 2007
------- Comment #22 from ubizjak at gmail dot com 2007-12-19 13:11 -------
(In reply to comment #21)
> Indeed, if I only use the regclass.c and local-alloc.c hunks, I get only one
> spill!
>
> pushl %ebx
> movl 8(%esp), %edx
> movl 16(%esp), %eax
> movl 20(%esp), %ecx
> imull %edx, %ecx
> movl 12(%esp), %ebx
> imull %eax, %ebx
> addl %ebx, %ecx
> mull %edx
> leal (%ecx,%edx), %edx
> popl %ebx
>
> and no reg-reg move.
Excellent!
I think that we should fwprop stack arguments into the insns to further
optimize the code. According to pentopt.pdf, there is no penalty at all (at
least for P4+) when one of the insn operands is a memory reference. This would
relieve register pressure considerably.
--
http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=17236
More information about the Gcc-bugs
mailing list