too few template-parameter-lists with nested template
Michael Gourlay
mgourlay@fiea.ucf.edu
Fri Mar 17 16:57:00 GMT 2006
I have worked around the problem. The HashTable methods now have __GCC__ code that detects when the object has not had its constructor called, and
Performs the same initialization on-demand.
>From the lack of responses indicating otherwise, I suppose I will assume this is a bug in G++. Should that go into bugzilla?
Dr. Michael J. Gourlay
University of Central Florida / FIEA
-----Original Message-----
From: gcc-bugs-owner@gcc.gnu.org [mailto:gcc-bugs-owner@gcc.gnu.org] On Behalf Of Michael Gourlay
Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2006 4:33 PM
To: gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: too few template-parameter-lists with nested template
I've seen other posts asking a similar question, but the solution continues to evade me.
I have a line of code that compiles and runs as designed with MSVC but not under g++ 3.4.2 (mingw-special):
HashTable<Factory<AbstractProductUnitTest>::FactoryEntry> Factory<AbstractProductUnitTest>::sFactoryTable ;
The following lines do compile (but see caveat below):
template <class EntryT> class HashTable<Factory<AbstractProductUnitTest>::FactoryEntry> Factory<AbstractProductUnitTest>::sFactoryTable ;
...or...
template <> class HashTable<Factory<AbstractProductUnitTest>::FactoryEntry> Factory<AbstractProductUnitTest>::sFactoryTable ;
The resulting code, however, seems not to have called the constructor on sFactoryTable by the time it gets used, which is well after "main" starts - i.e. this is not a problem with order of execution of static constructors.
Here is some context for the code above:
template <class EntryT> class HashTable
{
...
protected:
LinkedList<EntryT> * mLists ;
...
} ;
template <class AbstractProductT> class Factory : public HashEntry
{
...
protected:
struct FactoryEntry : public HashEntry
{ // struct to associate a factory with a hash table key.
Factory<AbstractProductT> * mFactory ;
} ;
static HashTable<FactoryEntry> sFactoryTable ; // singleton list of concrete factories associated with this abstract factory
} ;
I searched http://gcc.gnu.org/ and found several simpler variations where people complained about initialization of static templated class members, the solution to which was to prefix the class name with "template <>", but I found no mention of a situation like that above, which involves nested templated classes.
I apologize if this reflects my ignorance rather than a bug in the GNU C compiler, and would appreciate having somebody explain how to make this work.
Thanks.
Michael J. Gourlay
More information about the Gcc-bugs
mailing list