[Bug target/27827] [4.0/4.1 Regression] gcc 4 produces worse x87 code on all platforms than gcc 3
paolo dot bonzini at lu dot unisi dot ch
gcc-bugzilla@gcc.gnu.org
Mon Aug 7 18:19:00 GMT 2006
------- Comment #42 from paolo dot bonzini at lu dot unisi dot ch 2006-08-07 18:19 -------
Subject: Re: [4.0/4.1 Regression] gcc 4 produces worse
x87 code on all platforms than gcc 3
> We should get some idea by comparing gcc3 vs. your
> patched compiler on the various platforms, though other gcc3/4 changes will
> cloud the picture somewhat . . .
>
That's why you should compare 4.2 before and after my patch, instead.
> If this kind of machine difference in optimality holds true for x87 as well, I
> assume a new peephole phase that looks for the scratch register could be called
> if the appropriate -march were thrown?
>
Or you can disable the fmul[sl] instructions altogether.
> Speaking of -march issues, when I get a compiler build that gens your new code,
> I will pull the assembly trick to try it on the CoreDuo as well. If the new
> code is worse, you can probably not call your present peephole if that -march
> is thrown?
>
I'd find it very strange. It is more likely that the Core Duo has a
more powerful scheduler (maybe the micro-op fusion thing?) that does not
dislike fmul[sl].
--
http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=27827
More information about the Gcc-bugs
mailing list