[Bug fortran/20178] COMPLEX function returns incompatible with g77
stevenj at fftw dot org
gcc-bugzilla@gcc.gnu.org
Thu Mar 3 21:49:00 GMT 2005
------- Additional Comments From stevenj at fftw dot org 2005-03-03 21:49 -------
Subject: Re: COMPLEX function returns incompatible with
g77
On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, tobi at gcc dot gnu dot org wrote:
> BTW I will also propose a patch to make -fno-second-underscore the
> default, once this is fixed.
I'm confused...shouldn't it be one or the other? i.e. either make -ff2c
-fsecond-underscore the default, compatible with g77, *or* make -fno-f2c
-fno-second-underscore the default, incompatible with g77 but free of f2c
cruft.
I would vote for the former, simply because compatibility with g77 by
default has huge practical advantages for library distributors that seem
(to me) to outweigh the aesthetic benefits of removing f2c cruft.
(Making -fno-second-underscore the default does have the non-aesthetic
practical advantage of better compatibility with non-GNU compilers, but
the GNU project has traditionally placed a higher priority on
compatibility with free software than with non-free software.)
Steven
--
http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=20178
More information about the Gcc-bugs
mailing list