[Bug libstdc++/17441] New: symbols not in the standard introduced into std::

caj at cs dot york dot ac dot uk gcc-bugzilla@gcc.gnu.org
Sun Sep 12 19:35:00 GMT 2004


gcc, via stl_algo.h (and possibly others) seems to introduce symbols into the
std:: namespace which are not specified in the standard and with a __ prefix.
Examples include:

template<typename _InputIterator, typename _Tp>
    inline _InputIterator
    find(_InputIterator __first, _InputIterator __last,
         const _Tp& __val, input_iterator_tag);

and

template<typename _InputIterator, typename _Predicate>
    inline _InputIterator
    find_if(_InputIterator __first, _InputIterator __last,
            _Predicate __pred, input_iterator_tag);

Now on one hand I can't imagine why this could cause a problem. On the other
hand I don't believe these functions should be here without beginning with __
(or _F) as they are implementation-specific functions

By now it's possible some people are (wrongly) using these in their code, so I
have marked the bug as enhancement. However I still believe these should be
changed to allow strict complience (or a formal statement made on exactly what
may be introduced to std:: which is not in the standard)

-- 
           Summary: symbols not in the standard introduced into std::
           Product: gcc
           Version: 4.0.0
            Status: UNCONFIRMED
          Severity: enhancement
          Priority: P2
         Component: libstdc++
        AssignedTo: unassigned at gcc dot gnu dot org
        ReportedBy: caj at cs dot york dot ac dot uk
                CC: gcc-bugs at gcc dot gnu dot org


http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=17441



More information about the Gcc-bugs mailing list