[Bug c++/9283] __attribute__((visibility ("hidden"))) not supported for class/struct

s_gccbugzilla at nedprod dot com gcc-bugzilla@gcc.gnu.org
Sun Apr 4 17:40:00 GMT 2004


------- Additional Comments From s_gccbugzilla at nedprod dot com  2004-04-04 17:40 -------
(In reply to comment #11)
> This makes it easier to add the -fvisibility=X command line switches to GCC 
> later on.

This is to let you all know that I have taken Brian Ryner's patch and used it to 
implement a further patch against GCC v3.4 CVS adding the -fvisibility 
functionality I previously described with appropriate documentation patching 
too. I am currently testing my patch though I should be finished by tonight.

Using my new patch, I have reduced the dynamic symbol table of my library, 
TnFOX, from 16342 symbols down to 9590 with no special measures and no problems. 
Furthermore the binary size has dropped as my patch marks many more symbols as 
local and thus their access code can be optimised.

I am just about to embark on compiling the Boost.Python based python bindings 
for TnFOX. They previously had >250,000 symbols and took six minutes for 
anything linked against them to load - even after applying a filtering version 
script, I could only get it down to ~76,000 which at least linked in less than 
ten seconds. With my new GCC, I am expecting to reduce this to less than 1000 
symbols with a substantial reduction of binary size (it's currently 130Mb) as 
lots of RTTI can be elided.

I'll get back to you when I have built the bindings (it takes nine hours).

Cheers,
Niall


-- 


http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=9283



More information about the Gcc-bugs mailing list