[Bug bootstrap/11169] bootstrap failure after passing configure options
rearnsha@arm.com
gcc-bugzilla@gcc.gnu.org
Thu Jun 12 17:25:00 GMT 2003
PLEASE REPLY TO gcc-bugzilla@gcc.gnu.org ONLY, *NOT* gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org.
http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=11169
------- Additional Comments From rearnsha@arm.com 2003-06-12 17:25 -------
Subject: Re: bootstrap failure after passing
configure options
> I'm of mixed minds about this - on the one hand, other arm-linux
> distributions use FPA; on the other, Intel defines VFP for the default
> (am I right about that?). I suppose it wouldn't hurt to make people
> have to ask for VFP.
The linux ABI currently uses FPA: that's recognized to be a problem, given
that FPA is not available for any "modern" processor. ARM is currently
working towards specifying a new EABI, and once that is complete, I'm
hoping Linux will adopt that as its new ABI -- if they are going to
change, better to change once than have several incompatible variants
floating around.
If you really want to build a linux system with a different floating point
format, then as you suggest, you can force the issue by passing -mfpu=...
to the assembler. I'm currently working on gcc patches to allow that (at
present, selecting VFP word ordering on soft-float has to be done by
hacking the config files).
R.
More information about the Gcc-bugs
mailing list